Local fire bans will be issued for eastern and south-eastern Queensland as the state heads toward heightened fire weather for the second time in as many weeks.
 
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) Director of Rural Operations James Haig said local fire bans would be imposed on a number of local government areas stretching from the Gold Coast to Ipswich, the Lockyer Valley, Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast, Noosa, Gympie and South Burnett.  

A local fire ban will take effect from 12.01am, Wednesday 27 September to 11.59pm, Saturday 30 September in the following local government areas: 

Sunshine Coast Council
Noosa Shire Council
Gympie Regional Council
South Burnett Regional Council 

A local fire ban will take effect from 12.01am, Thursday 28 September to 11.59pm, Saturday 30 September in the following local government areas: 

Moreton Bay Regional Council
Brisbane City Council 
Redland City Council 
Ipswich City Council 
Somerset Regional Council
Lockyer Valley Regional Council 
Logan City Council 
Scenic Rim Regional Council
City of Gold Coast 

“All Permits to Light Fire issued in these local government areas have been cancelled,” Mr Haig said. 

“Unfortunately a return to dangerous fire weather conditions has forced our hand and we cannot risk a fire breaking out in the coming days.

“Fires that start under these conditions may spread quickly and will be difficult to control.

“These fire bans are a pre-emptive measure to prevent that from happening and to reduce the risk of bushfires starting and threatening lives and properties.”

Mr Haig said local fire bans still permitted people to use a properly constructed barbecue, with conditions. 

“A responsible adult must attend a lit barbecue at all times,” he said. 

“I would encourage anyone who intends to light a barbecue to ensure it is in a clear area away from vegetation, and to have water nearby.”

Mr Haig said the community should be extra vigilant and report any fires immediately to Triple Zero (000).

He said the latest fire bans were in areas that had experienced significant bushfire activity since the 2017 Queensland bushfire season began.

“The south-east corner has recorded around 750 bushfires since the start of August, while the Sunshine Coast and Wide Burnett have sizzled through more than 350,” he said.

“The level of bushfire activity in the south-east corner alone has increased more than 70 per cent compared to this time last year.

“That is representative of the warm and dry conditions sections of the state are experiencing and this is expected to persist unless we receive a decent downpour.”

The latest fire bans come on the heels of restrictions issued in the south-east, the southern downs and north and central Queensland in recent weeks. 

“I realise fire bans may inconvenience people, so I appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding,” Mr Haig said.

“The community response to heightened fire conditions has been fantastic, and I would like to thank the community for abiding by the restrictions and bans that have been imposed to date.

“I always say that bushfire prevention is a partnership between the community and QFES and if we all do our bit then we’ll significantly reduce the bushfire threat this season.”